Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why South Africa and Namibia?

Everyone always asks “Why South Africa and Namibia.” When I start thinking about an African vacation my first concern was traveling with an 8-year old. First, politically stable, no civil wars for us. Second, a former British colony, so that people will speak English. Third, the country must have a major international city so that medical attention could be given in-country if necessary.  Fourth, a good safari destination; eight year olds want to see the beasts. I had heard good things about Kruger National Park, so I started researching South Africa.
Zebras in Kruger National Park, South Africa
                                                                                                   photo credit  http://www.flickr.com/photos/kleinz/4537872153/
The flights to Johannesburg were $3,286.20, and 24 hours each way (a full day on either side). The Kruger Safari was only 4-days and half the airfare. I felt, if we were going to spend two full days traveling there and away; and spend that much money we should extend the stay so that the actual trip would cost as much as the airfare so I would feel like I was getting my monies worth. I also wanted Micah to see another non-industrialized African country to see the contrast between Johannesburg and another more typical small African city. Then I started researching other safari options in Botswana and Namibia. Namibia won out mainly because it has a dramatic and unique topography and the government has spent some money on infrastructure to support tourism and it met most of my other requirements although it’s a former German colony.

No comments:

Post a Comment